The key to recording vocals is finding the perfect microphone that not only focuses on your voice, but enhances it. When it comes to recording vocals like a pro, choosing the right microphone can make all the difference. Knowing this process can be a bit overwhelming, check out our guide for choosing the best vocal microphone.
XLR Microphone vs. USB Microphone
Whether you’re recording vocals for a new song or your latest podcast, it’s crucial to understand how each microphone works, its features and purpose, but most of all – how it will help with your recording setup. So, what’s the difference between an XLR and USB microphone? The short answer is the type of connector they use.
When thinking about choosing an XLR microphone, consider if a dynamic or condenser would be the best option. A few things to consider:
Condenser mics are extremely sensitive and can pick up the subtlest of sounds. They also require external power to operate
Dynamic microphones can minimize room noise without being as sensitive as a condenser microphone. Plus, they are extremely durable and do not require any external power sources
To learn more about XLR and USB microphones, check out our blog where we break down the differences between them.
Best for Studio Vocals
- Cardioid polar pattern reducing unwanted sounds, improving isolation and keeping the focus on your voice
- Handles high SPLs effortlessly and features a custom-engineered low-mass diaphragm, providing an extended frequency response
- Eliminates unwanted pops, ideal for recording podcasts
Specifically designed for home or professional use, the AT2035 condenser microphone delivers exceptional detail and low noise, featuring:
- Exceptional level of consistency with a switchable 80 Hz high pass filter and 10 dB pad
- Delivers a smooth, natural sound
- Custom shock mount
Best for Podcasting
The AT202USB-XP is packed with studio-quality features, like onboard digital technology, plus features the original award-winning sound of the original AT2020. Additional features include:
- Focuses on your voice with its cardioid directional pick-up and onboard noise reduction
- High-resolution A/D converter supporting up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording sampling rate
- Touch sensitive mute button with LED light indicating if audio is muted by turning blue to red
The AT2040USB is an ideal microphone for creators that are looking for a dynamic design with excellent voice capture. The AT2040USB combines the broadcast quality of the original AT2040 with USB functionality.
- Ensures a natural frequency response with crystal clear sound
- Hypercardioid pickup pattern that eliminates ambient, unwanted noise
- A narrower pickup angle for focused vocal capture
- Integrated shock mount that minimizes unwanted noise and vibration
Check out our YouTube to learn more about the AT2040USB.